Friday, April 12, 2013

Listening to the laughter

Memorable moments in time. We all have them and they are a gift. You can not plan for them or schedule them, they just happen. I had such a time last evening with the grandchildren. I went to pick Mark up from his Lacrosse practice and had his sister Morgan with me. Morgan and I listened to the radio together in the car while waiting. We changed stations often as she likes to listen to someone called, Rihanna and I like the oldies show. So back and forth we went. On my station that old song about," making an ugly woman your wife came on." Morgan thought it hilarious but somewhat insulting.
Soon Mark was done practice and came to the car. We planned at stopping at McDonalds, as has become our custom. We decided to go inside to order our food as for some reason the person taking orders at the drive up often  has difficulty understanding me. Some say I have an accent, but I think it is defective equipment. Whatever the case, when I went to place the order that is when the fun began. I stepped up to the counter and a smiling face greeted me, may I take your order ? I replied with I would like two regular hamburgers and a chocolate milk. The young lady touched that screen and that order was placed. I then continued with my order. Morgan wanted a six piece chicken McNugget happy meal. It was at this point the wheels started falling of the whole process. Did you want a chocolate milk with that happy meal ? No, I want the chocolate milk with the two hamburgers. That obviously confused this person as her head began to swivel about with a frightened look on her face. She began to mumble, I need help over here. There was no help forthcoming. Forging ahead she took the rest of my order. I requested ice cream in a cup. Giving me the total and the receipt with a number on top I waited for my order.
As we waited I noticed I had been charged for a small pepsi but had not received a cup. I went to the counter and asked for that. No problem you paid for it, yes but I hadn't ordered it. I'll let that slide. Immediately following that I get the call your order is ready. Back to the counter and I am handed a happy meal box and a bag. Mark says, where is my chocolate milk ? Looking in the bag it is not there. Peering inside the happy meal box all I see is french fries and chicken Mcnuggets. Back to the counter. Inquiring about the milk I am told it is in the happy meal. So, you're telling me the cold milk is under the hot fries and McNuggets ? Yup, it is there. Who would have guessed. The kids are beginning to giggle now as Grandpa is getting just a bit annoyed. There is still one more thing, the ice cream. I ask about my ice cream. The girl says, was that a plain Sundae ? I say no, I just want ice cream in a cup. She informs me, as if I were totally ignorant, that ice cream in a cup is a plain sundae ! Ok, whatever. It was at this point the Grandchildren start to lose it. Giggling and laughing at Grandpas' frustration and mild anger.
As we rode home I was talking about this ordering experience. The more I talked the more they laughed. They laughed so hard they began to choke on their food, they laughed so hard their sides hurt, and they continued to laugh. They had both reached the point of downright silly. And that is an enjoyment beyond compare. That was a moment in time that will be remembered. There is no explaining why. They were laughing because they were laughing. Grandpas' every word sent them into more fits of laughter. When I told them that if ice cream in a cup was a plain sundae, they would call it " sundae " not ice cream, that thought that was hilarious. When I said if you put fudge on it you should then call it a" fancy sundae" there bladders became challenged. This laughter and silliness went on for fifteen minutes or so. I so love listening to them laugh. It really is a gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment