Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Sweat and Sawdust

We have passed the doldrums of winter and spring has made its' appearance. A day here and there teasing us with the promise of warmth and sunshine. Spring projects are being planned and supplies gathered. I have purchased a grape vine that I intend to plant. I'm looking forward to building a grape arbor and in years to come enjoying some grapes. I can just picture myself lying in the hammock, being fed grapes fresh from the vine.
At my sons house we have been putting up a tile backsplash. The tiles have all been cut and fastened to the wall. The grouting is in process and that project will soon be done. It has been a while since I have done any construction work and it felt good to get some " man " dirt on my hands. Manly men doing manly things. In all fairness, my wife has done the majority of the grouting. I am getting primed for that arbor and finishing up the hot tub install as well. The mower needs servicing, downed branches need cut and burned and a host of other tasks. Soon, sunburns and bruises will go hand in hand. A redneck summer !
There is always a delicate balance between quality work and getting it done on schedule. I should say some elses schedule. I've got the time to do the job right, but someone is always in a hurry. Let's get'er done ! Quality takes time, is my motto. That and quality materials. My favorite saying is, " you can't make chicken salad out of chicken " *hit ". I do tend to obsess a bit about it though, so someone to give me a push now and again isn't a bad thing. That's what wives are for.
The one thing I find most annoying is the cost of the materials. This cost always interferes with my plans. I either have to cut back on the scope of the project or cut corners somehow. As I tell my wife, that is the main difference between a professional and us. A professional just uses materials without really worrying about being frugal. Us amateurs are always trying to stretch it. I'm not saying the pros waste things but they don't really worry about using scraps to finish up the job either. I'm sure you have all been there.
The other thing with pros is the tools. They have the proper tool for the job and it is a good quality tool. If I try to have the same quality tools, I have no money left for materials. And tools make a big difference. Yes, most things can be done by hand and you can get great results, but you are not doing that in a hurry. Quality takes time, remember ? I keep hearing, Get'er done.
Time,tools and cost. Home improvement is the most frustrating of hobbies. It is also the most satisfying. I love the smell of fresh cut wood and the sound of a hammer. A little sawdust, mixed with sweat, is a poultice for the soul. Tile dust works as well. I've got a world class grape arbor in mind. What will get built is a backyard bargain. No matter, I will enjoy building it and getting it done, on time and in budget !


No comments:

Post a Comment