Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Still friends

I keep hearing a new commercial on the television. Two young ladies talking and one saying to the other, you can go to college, we'll still be friends, you'll just be smarter than me. There are two things about that statement that bother me. The first being that anyone that has gone to college is smarter than someone who has not, and the second being the implication that a " smart " person would not associate with someone who is " dumber " than they.
I will begin by prefacing with a few statements. I have taken a few college courses. No, I don't posses a degree in any subject. I admire those that have completed the courses of study to earn their degrees. Should've, could've,would've ! That is in the past. I don't feel any dumber because of it, nor any smarter.
I judge my acquaintances and friends on personality, not IQ. Those that are pleasing to me I remain friends with, those that do not, I politely ignore. A fairly simple and straightforward process not requiring any sort of degree.
The measure of intelligence is a sketchy thing at best. I may be able to recite facts and figures about any subject, but does that make me smart ? The quoting of others peoples thoughts and ideas does not prove my intelligence. The ability to remember lessons is not intelligence. We often describe people with high intelligence as lacking in common sense. That can be true, but that isn't what I'm talking about. I've known some less than " crisp crackers " that didn't have much of that either. I'm thinking about those that remembered their lessons but don't have an understanding of the subject. I've known a few of that type as well. Oh, they understand the literal translation of the material, but they lack imagination. They can not perceive any changes in the material.
I have issues with the whole " I've got a degree "thing. The implication being that those people are somehow smarter than anyone else. On one level, an elitist attitude. The possession of a degree would seem to entitle those more opportunities. Whereas the earning of that degree is commendable, I still believe the proof is in the pudding. After all, the obtaining of that degree is dependant, in part, on payment. If one has the resources a degree can be bought. I'm not saying that they are, but it is possible. You can not but smarts.
I understand we do need some method of determining qualifications. The obtaining of a degree is that method. The ability to retain information and recite it back has always been admired. I submit it doesn't necessarily make you smart. That is the core of the issue I have with that commercial, but more importantly the general attitude of today. To imply that those having a college education are somehow superior in intelligence to those that do not, is just wrong. Education and intelligence do not always go hand in hand.
Why we insist that everyone should have a college education is something I do not understand. Not everyone is college material. Not every useful occupation requires the memorization of facts and figures. The more degrees that are issued, the less the value of that degree.
I will encourage my grandchildren, and any child for that matter, to pursue a degree. A degree is what is required in todays world. Just as a high school diploma was held in high regard not so many years ago and is now expected, so it is now with a college degree. Soon a four year degree will be blase and advanced degrees sought after. Will they be any smarter ? History will tell that tale but I'm guessing, not. I'm guessing a return to those that can do and not just talk about it will be in demand. History does have a way of repeating itself.
Oh, and as for you " smart " people I'll still be your friend. The question is, are you smart enough to be mine.

1 comment:

  1. I've often said that the most "educated" man I have yet encountered had a third grade education (Samuel Nasca, Sr.). And another individual managed to give me an important lesson despite multiple intellectual handicaps (my cousin Bobby). The point of an education is to lead to improvement in critical thinking and efficiency in reaching some goal. Degrees are paper that testify to such but are certainly not in indication of intellegence; more of endurance, perhaps. Some take a round about way to "education"; before colleges they had libraries. Colleges simply supply guides in the role of professors in subjects. The TV commercial is just another illustration of propaganda; grade inflation, standardized testing, paper credentials are just trappings that they use to sell their programs i.e. Phoenix University ..... "education" based on life experiences as worthy. Smart people are smart with or without degrees; an "education" should prove two things ; everyone is ignorant of something; ignorance is curable -stupid is not.

    ReplyDelete