Wednesday, April 17, 2013

A Remarkable Man

Throughout my high school years I served as an acolyte at St. Lukes church. Most of the time I carried the Crucifix during the processional and recessional. I assisted Reverend Davis in administering Holy Communion. I enjoyed serving my church and my God. While performing these duties I wore a cossack and a surplice. The wearing of these garments was both symbolic and somewhat spiritual.( Clothes make the man.) There was no one set especially for me, but were shared among acolytes. In the summer months these robes could be hot. No air conditioning in church. I did feel a little special wearing that outfit.
Following high school I joined the Navy. While I was home on leave I went to church. I was wearing my uniform. I found Reverend Davis before the service began to say hello. He asked me if I would like to carry that cross once again. I accepted the invitation. Now, while I was away a new clergyman had been added. I did not know this man and he,of course, did not know me. I had retrieved the cross from it storage point and was standing at the head of the processional. This gentleman walks over and introduces himself and says, " we'll have to get you a cossack. " Reverend Davis then immediately intervened saying, " I think he has uniform enough ! " I felt so much pride at that moment. I was being recognized by my minister. Receiving his endorsement was a very special thing to me. I mean, geez, if the reverend says it, it is true.
That little scene played out over forty years ago. I still reflect upon it every now and again. I hope Reverend Davis is aware of the impact he did make. I know he has gone to his final glory. It was he who baptised me. It was he who administered my first communion. And it was he that acknowledged my service to the country. With just that one sentence, " I think he has uniform enough. "
Pride is sinful. I was taught that. I will admit that at that very moment, I was proud. The difference was, and is, it was a pride that humbled me. I didn't feel a pride that I was different or better than anyone else, I felt humbled by his gesture and his words. I was not boastful,but grateful. It was Reverend Davis that taught me that last lesson and he did it in one sentence. What a remarkable man. 

No comments:

Post a Comment