Thursday, April 25, 2013

Comfort

I have occasionally been accused of holding onto things. I'm not a hoarder but will admit to a reluctance to dispose of things prematurely. It would be wasteful and wrong to not keep it till its' full potential has been realized. As a consequence I have a few items that collect dust and, appear, I cannot emphasise that enough, appear, to be useless. I can assure you that is not the case. These items are necessary. Where they not, I would have thrown them out.
You know things can have several uses other than the one they were originally intended for. The old folks were masters at reusing items. In modern times we tend not to reuse as much. That is strange given all the talk of recycling and saving the earth we give lip service too. So a lot of my saving is just being ecologically aware. My own conscience won't allow me to waste and pollute.
This was brought to mind by a short trip to the attic. I went up there looking for one thing, but found much more. In the dusty corners and hanging from the rafters I found memories. Items once used for a specific purpose now repurposed. They have become repositories of past dreams,aspirations and promise for the future. These items were once new and full of life but now lie dormant. They are waiting.
I just stood there looking around and got lost for a moment or two. All the memories flooding back. Then it struck me. I was looking at scenes. Scenes that the great Norman Rockwell may have painted. Those old objects were lending life to the attic, indeed they lend life to the home. I think that is what Norman Rockwell was trying to show and did so eloquently. They are definitely not the objects of a hoarder. They are not without value or worth. But then that is why they say one mans junk is another's man's treasure. Those objects in my hands release their secrets to me, but not to you. That is because those objects are linked to my past. It may seem strange to some, but to me it is a comfort. Sometimes just standing there and looking around can be a comfort. Each object having a story to tell if you but listen. Some people make a living setting the scene, they call that decorating. As for me I just live my life and hold on. This old world turns pretty fast and it is good to have signposts. Reminders from the past help to guide the future. One needs to glance in the rearview occasionally to know what is coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment