Saturday, April 20, 2013

He Provided

The other day I wrote about a flower, a lady slipper. I received a few responses and remarks about that. Funny how I thought I was the only kid in the woods picking those things. But we do have a way of thinking that way. I think that is because each memory is our own, unique to us and we don't want to share. I will gladly show you that memory, but you can't have it, it is mine.
In the past I have written about collecting other treasures from those woods. Princess pine and running pine. Holly and white birch. Wildflowers galore and berries of all types. All those things were there,free for the taking. At least I always assumed they were free for the taking. I was taught to not take anything more than what you needed. Don't chop down the tree to get a limb ! Don't pick all the flowers or berries. Long before it was written on a sign I was told to leave the wood as you found it, leave no trace of your passing.
Leaving on the edge of Northwest woods we were about three miles from town. That was quite a distance back in those days. A good ride on your bicycle. Remember we were riding a Schwinn, no gears and it weighed about fifty pounds, took a good bit of effort to keep her rolling. We were not poor people but we weren't rich either. I'd say we were the average for that time and place. Most shopping was done from the Sears and Roebuck catalogue. We had all we needed and more.
As a child I never had much money. We kids didn't get an allowance. You had what you earned by doing chores or whatever. If you wanted things you had to plan ahead. Save up. I would do that for most occasions like birthdays and Christmas. Of course, as a kid I would make things for Mom. Mostly cards but sometimes drawing a picture. I don't recall exchanging gifts with my brothers and sister. Perhaps we did, but I don't remember that at all. I'm sure we must have given each other a card at least. Umm, I'll have to ask about that.
 When I grew older and had a steady job that all changed. As the years went by I would buy flowers and gifts for my Mom. Still do,as a matter of fact. For a while it was a novelty, getting flowers from the florist. Pretty vases and arrangements. I'm sure Mom loved them and appreciated the thought. I even thought those special arrangements from the florist were really something. And now the years are gone. No longer do I live at the edge of the wood. The wood is not even there anymore, not the wood I knew anyway. Mom lives in Florida, in a gated community. I send her flowers from the local florist. What I didn't realize as a child was what should have been obvious. The florist in town had pretty vases and arranged those flowers with ribbons and bows. That was nice, and still is, but I had the best florist of all, God. God was my florist and provided me with everything I needed. Mom knew that, all mothers do. Mom loved those flowers. If I could I would gather those flowers once again, maybe even a lady slipper. Sometimes it just takes time to appreciate the things you did have. The memory of those things can be as as satisfying as having the thing itself.
  

1 comment:

  1. "Precious memories,how they linger..." are the words to an old hymn...and so true. We all have our memories and our moments, precious and dear to us. I wonder if they grow sweeter as the years progress, or if they were really as wonderful as we remember them? No matter...they are, as you say, 'ours' and however we remember them is just that.

    ReplyDelete