Saturday, March 30, 2013

Traditionally

I often hear my contemporaries complain about how things aren't like they used to be. This is especially true during any holiday. I hear a lot of , when I was a kid, we did this or that. I hear about the loss of certain traditions or customs. That is usually followed by, I don't know why this is, or I don't know what happened. Well, the answer is simple really. It is because you allowed those traditions or customs to die. You ignored them because either they became inconvenient or they were no longer " cool " enough. That is how that happens. I am not excluding myself from that, I'm just as guilty as anyone else. I, along with everyone else, make a hundred excuses or reasons for this. We don't have the time, it costs too much or the old standby, nobody does that anymore. That last one is a doozy, isn't it ? No one does that anymore so I won't either. Then I can complain about no one doing that anymore.
I will admit it is difficult to maintain a tradition alone. Is it still a tradition if only a few do it ? Customarily they would be practiced by [sic] the majority of the local population at the very least. New traditions replace the old. At what point does something become a tradition ? I think it is very difficult to recognize a tradition in its' infancy. It would seem to me that our " modern " world is less susceptible to traditions. There is more of a trend toward transitory behaviors. We adopt a practice for a short time then move on to another rather quickly. Either that or we extend a current trend. IE: The wearing of ribbons to show our support for causes. Funny how it stated out with a song. " Tie a yellow ribbon round the old oak tree " Now there are ribbons in every color for every cause. Is this going to evolve into a tradition ? Could be. Traditionally we wore a poppy on Memorial day to remember the fallen. This practice is still followed somewhat, but is quickly fading away.
I will say this however, I expose my Grandchildren to these old holiday traditions. It is Easter, so they will each receive a new set of clothes. The girls getting their Easter dresses and Mark a new pair of dress slacks and a shirt. I was the recipient of such when I was a child and the tradition continues. Funny, I don't remember doing it for my own children though. You see, I didn't realize the value of those traditions until later in life. I do wonder what tradition or customs I have passed to them. Only time holds that answer.
Today we will dye some eggs and prepare the Easter baskets. Time to cook the ham.

No comments:

Post a Comment