Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Making Changes

I am waiting, along with the rest of the world, for a new Pope to be chosen. It is a decision that will have far reaching consequences. I trust the college of Cardinals will make a wise decision.
I am not a practitioner of the Catholic faith. I confess to knowing little about it. Superstition and rumors abound, as with anything you are not completely familiar with. I do recall the practice of not eating meat on Fridays. The restriction was lifted in 1963, according to several sources, but I do have conflicting opinions. Some say it still applies. Whatever the truth, that is just one thing that comes to mind. Saying confession is another mystery of Catholicism. All I know is you tell your sins to the priest and he tells you to say a number of Hail Mary's and Our Fathers. Your sins are then absolved.
I write these things not as a derision to the faith. Quite the contrary actually. I only write them to show how little my knowledge is. I do know the Pope is the leader of the Catholic church. In listening to the various reporters and commentators about the election of the new Pope a few things have become clear. A number of " Catholics " say they are looking for a new beginning for the church. They are hoping for the election of a more liberal Pope. A younger man that will possibly be more flexible in the practice of the faith.
I speak as an observer of events. Should this new Pope make a number of changes in basic doctrine will that not change the church ? That is not to say it will alter the faith of the people, just the practice of the faith. What I am hearing the young Catholic saying is, we need to change the Church to attract more young folks.  The problem lies in that by changing the practices and beliefs of the Catholic church, are you not changing the church ? And in that change you are no longer Catholic ? Is it not  the practices and doctrines of the church that make it the church ? That make you a Catholic ?
For me the old saying, you can't have your cake and eat it too applies. If you want to be a Catholic you must practice the faith as prescribed. Should you not wish to conform with that join another sect. The Protestants for example. Isn't that where we came from ? We protested against the Pope.
I am an Episcopalian. That is the church my mother took me too and the faith into which I was indoctrinated. It closely resembles the Catholic faith. We don't pray to the saints or say confession. I enjoy the pageantry associated with that faith. The Reverend in his splendid robes and the strict rules governing the services. A lot of changes have been made since I attended my church on a regular basis. I have heard of these changes and do not look upon them with favor. I realize I am getting older and change become more difficult with age. That I am sure is a part of it. There is more to it however. The basics tenants of practicing the faith were instilled in me as a child. These were taught as truth and  right. To change those seems to be contradictory. A shaking of the foundation as it were.
The Catholic church is experiencing that change again. The tremors can be felt worldwide. A lot is resting upon the decision being made. May the faithful remain true to their beliefs and practices. I was taught the church is a living breathing thing. All things must change and evolve to survive. The decision of just what to change is critical. One should guard against changes solely to satisfy the masses. Change should be based on
needs, not want or convenience.
 

















No comments:

Post a Comment