Friday, March 8, 2013

Belief

Belief comes through experience. Belief is most closely associated with God or religious values. When asked, do you believe, the person is really asking, have you had a personal experience ? An answer of yes or no is an admission of that experience or lack thereof. I do not believe in blind belief, or faith if you prefer, that is called hope. It is my feeling that belief must be experienced. It is the recognition of that experience that lends itself to faith.
Along with other mysteries in this world I have given this much thought. I find myself thinking more about it with each passing year. I think that is only a natural progression. We humans tend to go for the fun stuff first and the more serious aspects of life later on. There is much talk of birth and rebirth. Many Christians talk of being reborn. I understand the analogy. To recognize the presence of a creator and acknowledge his,or her, existence is a new beginning. The beginning of faith is that experience.
In the Bible we read the story of Thomas. Forever remembered as a doubter. But was he ? At one point he was, but then he had an experience. An experience as true to him as the sun in the sky. He doubted no more. He was a believer. I think it human to be filled with doubt. It is only right that we should question. And I further feel until we have that experience, we will doubt. To claim otherwise is being untrue to ourselves and others. To desire faith is one thing, to posses it another.
I do not write this to explain my personal relationship with faith. I believe faith to be a very personal matter. I do not trust those that feel obligated to broadcast their feelings. Sharing your faith or beliefs in quiet confidence is one thing, but causing discomfort to others is quite another. One need only admit that relationship to the one being worshiped.
  The real question is, do we believe what we experience or experience what we believe ?

No comments:

Post a Comment