Saturday, March 16, 2013

Open the windows

The time is close to throw open the windows and let spring come inside. Time to air out the house, listen to the singing of the birds and begin to stir about. During the winter months we do have a tendency to become sedimentary. But now spring beckons us. We have had a few days that teased us. The buds are appearing on the trees and spring onions are sprouting upwards. A growing feeling of restlessness is coming on. Projects are being planned. Outdoor projects !
I most enjoy those brief periods when you need neither heat nor air conditioning. When the windows can be left open and the breeze blowing through the rooms. I enjoy the coolness in the morning and the evening. I enjoy the gentle warmth of the day. Wouldn't it be wonderful if it just stayed that way throughout spring and summer ? I would still want the fall and winter to come, those seasons have there own pleasures, but it seems all too soon the windows are closed again and all you hear is the hum of the air conditioning.
Research shows that San Diego has the most moderate climate in the lower 48. I have been there and it was a pleasant stay, except for a minor earthquake ! Call me a chicken but I'm not living there. The ground shakes and the whole deal might just fall into the ocean. No thanks. I guess that is the price one would have to pay for that moderate climate, but I for one am unwilling. Hawaii is ranked number one. Of course one needs to keep an eye on volcanic activity when living there. Again, maybe I'm a nervous type, but that prospect doesn't seem appealing to me.
Back in the not so distant past, most homes did not have air conditioning. Windows open and fans running was the order of the day. It was also in the not so distant past that you could safely leave your windows open. Now home invasion is a real threat. A sealed fortress with invasion alarm systems is more in order. Good thing we have air conditioning ! It is alienating us from nature a bit. As a child I lay awake at night when it was hot and uncomfortable, listening to the night sounds. Caty-dids, tree frogs, whip or wills and  an occasional cat. Those sounds became a comfort. I would count the chirps of the crickets and determine the temperature. Did you know you can do that ? Google it. All those years ago I read about it in a science book. Or was it Colliers Encyclopedia ? We didn't " surf " books, we just browsed. I was the browser. What browser do you use ? LOL New meanings for old terms.
Here in Greensboro I will assume the risk. The windows will be open in the evening for as long as the weather allows. With luck we will also get a gentle rain. I just love the sound of a gentle rain. The freshness of the air is so nice. Angels ride on raindrops and bring solace to the earth. My windows will be open to welcome them.


No comments:

Post a Comment