Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Getting to know you

Working in retail you get to know your customers. I should qualify that statement by saying you become aware of certain customers. You may exchange pleasantries with them, but not really get to know them. Among the other employees, and in confidence, you may attach a label describing that person. We have several customers in that category. Some of the names we have assigned to them are not very flattering, but apt descriptions none the less. The individual is immediately identifiable. Some are described by appearance and some by their habits. None of this is done in a mean spirited way. It is just a diversion from the everyday challenges of dealing with the public. If you have ever worked retail you understand completely and if not,well, let's just say the customer is not always right ! It is just that you can't tell them that.
One of the more fascinating customers was in the store today. I call her the note book shopper. A rather demure young lady, I'd say late twenties, always accompanied by her daughter. Speculation is that she must home school her daughter, as the daughter is about 8 or so. The child appears to have no disabilities of any kind. This speculation is a part of the allure. The one thing that stands out about her is the carrying of her note book. It is a three binder, complete with the dividers just like the ones we carried in high school. She will have this binder open and resting on the handle of the shopping cart. As she carefully selects each item she checks it off in her binder. I once got a glimpse of this note book. The page was neatly labeled " Monday". Underneath, it was divided into breakfast,lunch and dinner. Each category was further subdivided by the food items required for that meal. At the bottom of the page was a snack section and a block for total cost. It was amazing. I can only speculate about the other pages hidden behind the dividers. The rest of the week surely must be there. Somewhere in there I suspect you would find the the food pyramid. What of holidays and special occasions ? Where there sections for that as well ? Call it nosy if you will, but my interest is piqued.
When I was in the ninth grade I took home economics. I remember having to prepare a menu for the week. We had to balance our budget with eating well balanced meals. Meal planning was important,at least in 1969 it was. I frequently find discarded shopping lists but never have I found anything on this order. Surely she must posses a PhD in household management. You can't help but admire her organizational skill.
I have only spoken once to this lady, a friendly hello, in passing. She looked up from her notebook and responded, barely audible, in kind. Her eyes had a frightened look, or one of intense concentration, I can not decide.
The note book shopper is a curiosity. I prefer to leave it that way. Whenever I see her I am filled with speculation. Either her life is very regimented and boring or she is a secret shopper. Is she an agent of the competition ? Is she in fact compiling pricing trends ? The little girl may just be a diversion.
 Now this other customer, the "Troll " that's another story altogether. 

No comments:

Post a Comment