Sunday, March 10, 2013

Getting Directions

I am one of those people that are terrible when it comes to street names and giving directions. I do not remember the names of streets or the number of county roads and highways. Given years I will know a few major roads. I can drive wherever I need to go without any problems but telling another how to get there is a challenge. Those directions usually start with, do you know where ( insert a landmark here ) is ? Well, don't go that way. Trying to tell another how to get somewhere I almost always confuse myself. I drive by landmarks. Like a pioneer, I travel my route from memory. I do not have a gps (gasp) so any detours can be a challenge for me. Fortunately, I travel little from my stomping grounds so it is not an issue.
I know that I am not alone in this. I have asked others for directions and met with the same response. Remember where the Piggly Wiggly was ? That's where it is. Not being a local I have no clue where the Piggly Wiggly was ! A series of landmarks usually follow. I understand and move on. Then I stop and ask another, all the while mumbling about people living somewhere and not knowing where anything is. I forget I should include myself in that group. Well, I do know, just can't tell you how to get there.
I have used a gps that my daughter in law has. The lady giving you directions. I would say she does fairly well too. A big improvement over those old road maps. I did notice if you miss the turn, the gps lady starts to get a little panicky. She is quite insistent about staying on her route. She is a bit uptight, as the saying goes. The technology is wonderful but does take some of the fun out of a road trip.
I will say this. I have never been lost, just exploring alternate routes. I have chosen to explore these routes at inopportune times that much is true, but always arrived at my destination. That destination may have been modified during the journey though. Hey, I'm not like the gps lady, I'm flexible.
It is a wonderful thing that with modern technology we can pinpoint any location on the planet. I can send you the coordinates and get you within a few feet. Now that is amazing. Had this been available earlier we wouldn't have lost treasures,only lost coordinates. Of course there is something to be said for the old fashioned ways. Don't need three satellites or electrical power of any kind. And you do tend to be observant
on the journey. That leads me back to my original thought. Why didn't I observe those street signs and names in the first place ? That's because I know where I'm going and if you are asking you don't. Your problem,not mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment