Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Do Something

I suppose coming from a rural background and having been raised by hard working, middle classed folks, I could be considered among the simple country folk. We were just a little back woods compared to them folks from New York City with their high faluting ways and educations. Why we did little research and analysis on everyday problems, we just boiled the thing down to the basics. Took it down to the brass tacks,as the saying goes. Chewed on it, like a dog on a bone. Then we just up and said what we thought. Simple as that. Wasn't always the right answer, but you got an answer. It just seems to me like no one wants to answer the question anymore. Now it is all discussion,focus groups and let's consult a professional.
These old country ways of mine have been a cause of some problems. People sometimes misunderstand my answers as opinions or statements of facts. Isn't always the case. It is just my thoughts on the matter at that time. My mind is subject to change. There are no absolutes. A lot depends upon the subject. Praise for someone or something should come easily, but condemnation needs careful consideration. It is never wise to rush to either, but I would rather err on the side of praise. Momma always said, " if you don't have anything nice to say,don't say anything at all. " That's some of that country wisdom.
I hear a lot of people talking nowadays, but saying very little. Most of the time they are telling me how much they understand and sympathize with everyone else. No matter the social group or class, they are sensitive to their feelings. The thing is, I don't want to hear your reasoning, I want to hear your answer. Two different things. It makes little difference to me how you arrived at your decision, I want the answer. I will deal with the consequences of that answer when I hear it.
To sum it up what we need is this. We need those making the decisions to decide. To just flat out state their answer without regard for popularity or political correctness. That would go a long way to settling some of the pressing issues of today. The politicians, no matter how much you may despise them, are in those offices for one purpose. To propose answers and solutions to the everyday problems we encounter. I want to hear what those proposals and solutions are. No ifs' ands' or buts' about it. State your intention clearly and I will then vote upon that. Maybe I don't like it. Maybe I will not vote you into office for a second term. Please give me something to vote upon at the very least. A little less talk and a lot more action. 

1 comment:

  1. Ben...I think that what the real answer is to all of this is..."Common Sense." As the saying goes, 'Common sense isn't very common any more.' Too bad.

    ReplyDelete