Thursday, March 28, 2013

Addicted to Health Care

It appears to me that a lot of people are getting addicted to health care. It is not that they are hypochondriacs, just getting an addiction to seeking medical attention. I see it every day. I have a headache, I'm going to the doctor. Fever,chills,stubbing your toe and the common cold all candidates for expert medical attention. What happened to chicken soup, ginger ale, iodine and Mercurochrome ? That pretty much got me through until I was 20 or so. Then my appendix exploded. Needed a doctor for that one. And it wasn't because I stayed perfectly healthy and had no accidents or ailments. The necessity for medical care was reserved for those times when you,well, needed medical attention.
Is it any wonder the cost of health care has skyrocketed ? With all these people presenting themselves to doctors I would take advantage of that boom in business as well. If I didn't do anything else I would run a battery of tests, no matter how remote the possibility of actually finding anything, prescribe something and tell you to come back. Sounds like a sound business plan to me. Along with that, maybe I should just run a bunch of ads about possible ailments and symptoms, that ought to get a few more in.
I am not opposed to an annual check up, seems reasonable. Going to the doctor is not preventative medicine however. You should go to the doctor when there is something that requires attention. Preventative measures include eating right,exercise ( actually working is good exercise) and getting a good nights rest. We are all very much aware of the things that make us feel bad.
We are all prone to aches and pains. Bumps and bruises occur. Colds happen. If you start running to the doctor for each little ache or pain those aches and pains will soon become worse. Best thing is to just work through it. We are becoming weak. I say get over it and just move on. Good Grief people.

No comments:

Post a Comment