Friday, March 22, 2013

Paranoid

Our government is making some of us paranoid. The government is requiring dates be put on canned goods and other food items. On the surface this may seem like a good idea but in actuality it is insidious. I watch people carefully studying these dates and returning product to the shelves. Most of these dates say, " best if used by " but everyone interrupts that as," it is bad by." This is leading to paranoia. The dates are within a year, should I purchase this or dig into the back portions of the shelf and search for a date further out ? Will I really eat this can of peas within the next year ? This reaction is really bad in the milk department. I often have requests for dates further out. This gallon of milk is best if used by, insert date, and that is only a week away. I'm not sure I will use it all by then. Ever consider buying a smaller amount ? And the milk will not automatically spoil on that date.
I have wondered just how they arrive at those dates. The best if used by is particularly puzzling. It is someones job to taste these products daily and record the results ? Canned goods may have a date exceeding two years. Did someone eat a can of beans every day for a longer period of time and then determine it was best at the two year mark ? At twenty six months it was not so good ? Just how long does this testing go on ?
Another point of interest to me is the stability of these food items. Just what is in them to make their shelf life so long ? I'm more concerned with the preservatives being used than eating a spoiled product. I'm sure I would know the product tastes bad, but they are pretty clever at masking those preservatives. I don't want to add to the paranoia but I'm just sayin'.
And one more point. What is up with all this turkey stuff ? Turkey bacon ? Really ? A turkey doesn't have an oink. Turkey burgers ? Turkeys don't say moo. Turkey sausage. And just what is it you are putting in that turkey to imitate those tastes ? Now that makes me paranoid. When is that product the best ? Probably before those additives where put in there to make it taste like something else.
All these dates and warnings are causing paranoia. I see it every day. I do wonder why there is a date on the Strawberry preserves. Aren't they preserved ? And the pickles,aren't they pickled ? Well the government knows what is best and what date that falls on. I guess I should just trust in my government. Now I really am paranoid !

1 comment:

  1. You think very hard, Mr. R! I've had some of those thoughts, and we often eat things that are a bit older than the dates on the packages. So far, we're alive and well! I had to laugh at your wonders about the 'tester' though. You're so right...WHO has such a job as that?

    ReplyDelete