Sunday, January 6, 2013

Saucering

I was just wondering. How many of us use a cup and saucer when drinking our coffee ? I know I don't anymore. I have sets in the cabinet but seldom use them. I may place them on the table for a special occasion but that would be about it. My Dad would pour his coffee into the saucer and blow across it to cool it and then sip from the saucer. There is an actual name for this practice, it is called " saucering. " Really, look it up. That practice began because coffee was boiled before the automatic drip pots and was just too hot . Add in the fact that coffee cups were either tin, or a pretty thin china that made them difficult to hold, and well necessity is the mother of invention.
I have noticed that when dining out, with the exception of the more high end places, coffee is served in mugs.  Saves on dish washing I suppose and fewer broken pieces. Sugar and cream is usually not on the table anymore either. The "server ", used to be waiters and waitresses, will ask. And they will arrive in little packets and tiny plastic cups. No more sugar bowls or creamers. Remember when you got a glass of water before ordering ? Brought that with the menu. That's an extra now.
The cup and saucer is nice but does have a drawback. The cups are normally rather small. They require frequent fill ups. Well, used to get them too back in the day. The servers actually paid attention to their customers. The bottomless cup was a popular incentive. Of course, tips were optional as well.
 I've gotten off the track a bit but all these things are related. I admit being served coffee with a cup and saucer feels a little special. Like a special occasion or something. Very dignified. Isn't that a silly thing. My Grandmother would have been appalled if she was served coffee in a mug. I can hear her saying, " what is this ? I'm not running a boarding house here. " Customs change and everyday life changes. What was once everyday becomes different. I remember when Pizza was an exotic food and eaten only on special occasions as a treat. If you're good all week we will get Pizza. Now that was an incentive !  

No comments:

Post a Comment