Friday, January 18, 2013

A walk in my shoes

Style and fashion have never been my strong suite. I seldom pay attention to what is in or out. Mostly I notice those things I think outlandish and laugh about them. For the most part, my style, has remained the same. When I was much younger I would venture into the world of fad on occasion. I wore a pair of Beetle boots for a while, although I wasn't what you would call a Beetles fan. I even had a Denim sport coat with matching bell bottom pants. Pretty trendy stuff for this old boy. Those that know me well know I did have a few articles of clothing that were kinda out there. Leather pants, silk shirt with satin lining and even a pair of red satin pants ! Bought those at a store in Riverhead ( big city for me ) at a store called Slacks by Uncle Charlie. I remember the salesman asking me if I was in a band. I said no, just buying school clothes. Mom and Dad were so much in shock they didn't say anything at all ! I just thought it was funny and really didn't care what anyone else thought.
About the time I was in high school the big athletic shoe thing started taking off. Chuck Taylors were the thing at the time. Converse then released their " All Stars " in white and man they were cool. I went with the Pro Keds though, in suede leather uppers. Gold in color. Paid almost thirty dollars for those shoes and I thought my father would have a heart attack. Thirty dollars for sneakers ? They were always sneakers to him and tennis shoes to Mom. I thought they were really something.
Later on I did buy a pair of the original earth shoes. I admit they were comfortable. The health benefits from wearing them I can not testify to. They were clunky looking things and a plain brown in color. I do not know what possessed me to make that purchase. Must have been the advertising.
In the end and all these years later I have come to realize one thing. Mom was right again. Buy comfortable shoes. I tend to wear the same pair of shoes until they are completely worn out. I do have a pair of " dress shoes " seldom worn that will go in and out of style several times during their life span. I generally wear athletic shoes  in the warm weather and work boots in the cold.
I'm not sure what made me think about those Earth shoes this morning. Must be a flashback Friday. Flashing back in my minds eye to some of the outfits I did wear over the years I can plainly see I really didn't pay any attention to style and fashion. At least I'm sure didn't have any. LOL

Just like these ! I'm hip.

No comments:

Post a Comment