Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Annoyed

I may have to move from my current home. I rent an apartment and it has been discovered to contain lead paint. The state of Maryland has enacted legislation that apartments/homes containing this lead paint can no longer be rented without renovation. In my particular case the replacement of all the windows is required. It is an older home and the windows are those wonderful double hung windows. You know the kind with the window weights. They are in good condition and freshly painted. I'm not sure how many layers of paint you would have to go through to reach the lead based paint. The cost to the landlord is significant. Also the place must be vacant while this work is being done. I have lived here for over ten years now and it feels like home. I am very happy with the location and the condition of the apartment. Just the right size for my wife and I. A warm.secure and affordable home. Now, the government feels the need to protect me ! And so, in there concern for my health they are causing my eviction. Will the government provide any assistance for security deposits and such at my new location ? No ! Of course if I came here illegally and had dependent children that would be a different scenario, now wouldn't it ? But alas, I'm just a natural born citizen and twenty year veteran retired from the Navy. I'm near 60 and only have part time employment. If I sound a bit bitter it is because I am.
I have become more and more annoyed at government. Regulations, although well intended, often cause undue burdens. This is a completely unnecessary burden upon myself and my landlord. The paint is not peeling, chipped or in any way loose. No small children live here. It is just a one bedroom apartment suitable for seniors. I fail to see what possible harm this paint could cause. As long as the " hazard " is disclosed, what's the problem. And the problem is further complicated by additional regulations concerning the removal and disposable of the paint itself. One must hire a " certified " " licensed " and " bonded " contractor to deal with this issue. Guess how much that will add to the cost of the windows ? If this same home were occupied by the owner, none of this applies. So, how dangerous a situation can it be ?
Well, there is little I can do. The government can't be stopped. And changes to the law would take years. I could advocate for these changes, but I would still have to find another place to live.
I have a wonderful landlord and he is exploring further options. I am hopeful something can be worked out. If not, I'll just have to move. 

No comments:

Post a Comment