Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Being Cordial

Meeting and dealing with the public every day can be exhausting. Some are demanding, some are rude and some are just annoying. I do enjoy meeting new people and exchanging pleasantries. A cheerful Good Morning or a casual remark of two. On other days I just don't feel like interacting with others at all. Of course, I must put on a good face, as it where. It can be exhausting. Especially with " the  talkers. " There are those that wish to talk to you and refuse to let you go. Perhaps this is there only social interaction of the day, or they just love a captive audience. Whatever the case, the talkers can be a challenge.
It is quite difficult to find something different to say. I grow tired of the Good Mornings, it's cold outside, how are you and Hello. There are times I just want to say something more profound or sincere. Maybe offer some useful advice. I feel stifled ! Often thoughts come to mind that I can't verbalize. Thoughts like, do you know you are still wearing your pajamas ? I do feel a social obligation to say something without starting a prolonged conversation. And brevity in speech is not one of my strong points. I would like to say something more than those casual remarks, but the only others I think of would leave people speechless I'm afraid. At least for a moment or two, then the interaction may become a little too up close and personal.
I have thought of quoting some famous people. For instance, when asked how are you, I could respond with, " Our life is what our thoughts make it " ( Marcus Aurelis) or when asked, how is it going I could respond with, According to God's plan. The problem there is I would quickly get a reputation as being the " weird old guy " that talks funny.
It is a challenge every day to maintain a happy medium. To not allow your own feelings to interfere with public relations. After all, I owe the customers that much. They come here carrying their own burdens in life. I owe them all a cordial greeting, not for the sake of business, but rather for the sake of courtesy.
There is a bright side to all this, at least I'm not the greeter at Wal-Mart. Now that must be really exhausting !

No comments:

Post a Comment