Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Looking Ahead

Here it is, 2013. Now the celebrations are over and the decorations put away. The Valentines are beginning to appear. Time to move on into the year. As I looked into the bathroom mirror this morning I had one of those random thoughts. It's 2013 and I'm staring at 60. Say what ? Sixty. Yup just a bit over six months away. Sixty sounds a lot older than 59. I'm thinking I'll just claim to be 59.99 this year. I'll blame it on the Mayan calendar or something.
Six decades is a pretty big deal. I'm thinking I should do something special this year. Something to commemorate the event. I'm not calling it checking something off on my bucket list, don't have a bucket list. Sure I'll be gone one day, but right now I'm concentrating on living. I place no limitations on that. To make a list would add too much finality. Problem is I don't have any clue what it could be. Should be something significant and lasting. Should be something just for me. It is my milestone after all. What to do ?
I don't really have any ambitions that I haven't already tried. I have no desire to go skydiving or any of that type of thing. During my Navy days I traveled all over the world, now I'm glad to just be in America. No other place on earth will do, not even to visit. The best moments in life always come by surprise. You really can't plan them. One cannot fabricate happiness. I've been fortunate to have a wife that makes me happy, kids I can be proud of, and Grandchildren that love me. Guess, I really don't need much more than that. Anything more would just be greedy.
My bucket seems to be empty. That's a good thing. I don't have a lot of baggage to carry around. I can just relax and enjoy the things I do have. It would be too much pressure to try to fulfill every dream I ever had. Truth is, some dreams are nightmares ! I'm just going to try to maintain the status quo. I'm putting this whole thing off. Now, seventy, that will getting on in years won't it ? I'll worry about it when that happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment