Saturday, January 19, 2013

Man Te'o

For the past couple of days I have been hearing about this football player Man Te'o. Seems he had a make believe girlfriend, who make believed died. He now says he was duped and the victim of a cruel hoax. And we are reporting this on the national news because ? OMG. Someone was less than forthright and honest on the Internet. Gasp. He thought he had a girlfriend, a pretty one too, with a degree from Stanford, but she got leukemia after a car accident. Passed away right after his Grandmother.
Now this young man is attending Notre Dame University. I would say that is a fairly prestigious school. I would think that even though he is a football player, the academic standards for admission and continued attendance would be rather high. In other words, he's no dummy. So just how would you think you had a " relationship " with someone you have never actually met ? Surely he is not that naive. As a star football player, I'm quite certain he has garnered some attention from the opposite sex. Three months is a long time to go without even meeting this person. At the very least, ever hear of Skype ? All this notwithstanding, I must repeat the question, we are reporting this on the national news because ?
If I wanted to hear this kind of  nonsense I would listen to Jerry Springer. I fail to see where the story is in all of this. There has been no reporting of any type of criminal activity. No money collected, or fraud committed,except for the fact he was lied to. Pardon me but I think this happens every day. Take a good look at some profile pages and I think some may be misleading. If not directly misleading, misdirection by the omission of key facts. I suppose because he is a star player ( that's what the news says ) that is why the hoopla. If I were that young man I wouldn't want to talk about it ! Of course the feelings of sports stars are far more important than those of us average people. Has something to do with all that talent.
I do remember when I was young. A young lady, and she was real, once told me she liked me. Once she got my ice cream cone though, the relationship was over. I was devastated ! It wasn't reported on the news. Maybe that's why I never played football.

No comments:

Post a Comment