Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Who are you

I admit I'm terrible with names and faces. Unless I see that person on a regular basis my memory can be a bit sketchy. Working in the grocery store and meeting with the public this can be a bit awkward. I often have people speaking to me and I get a sense that they feel they know me,and I have no recollection of them. More importantly I get a feeling they think I should remember them. That is when it gets a little awkward.
Usually I can get by with a smile and just agreeing with whatever they say. People, being human, love being right. At other times though it gets a little sticky. If they start mentioning my grand kids I have to quickly try to figure what sport or activity they may be associated with. Soccer mom or dance Mom ?
I find the best strategy for me is to try to keep the encounter brief and jovial. Attempt to make them do all the talking and listen for clues. I do hope that I don't come of as rude or brusque at times. Occasionally I put my foot in my mouth and say something from out in left field. That happens when I think I know this person and don't. Oh, I hate it when that happens. I either place them with the wrong children or the wrong sport. I may even have forgotten you if I haven't seen you in a long time. IE: Old co-workers. If I didn't work with you personally and you just worked at the same place I did, I may have forgotten who you are. Nothing personal about it, it is just the way I am.
I am fortunate in that I have no trouble meeting and speaking to strangers. I can converse with anyone about just about anything you would care to discuss. There is a term for that ability and it is not very flattering. I'm aware of that and have learned to live with it. Turn your flaws into abilities and exploit them. That ability has served me well over the years. It is a skill I learned as a child, I grew up around some highly skilled communicators !
I do wish I was better at remembering names and faces. It would make things a little easier. When I come home and try to tell my wife about it,it turns into a guessing game. I try to describe the person and she guesses who I'm talking about. I'm betting some would be offended by the description used to identify them. And it is not always a physical description. Manner of speech or certain character traits will often do it. But then it is what it is. I'm not overly concerned because I've always been this way so it is not early onset of Alzheimer. Not unless it started real early. So on the bright side if that does happen no one will notice. LOL
If I don't place you right away please don't be hurt. It is that way with everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment