Friday, September 14, 2012

Traditional Cooking

I saw a request for a " traditional " recipe the other day. An old fashioned recipe for a particular place. I immediately responded with my recipe. Then I read a few others. All came from those native to this particular area the recipe was requested for. Problem lies in that all our " traditions " are not exactly the same. My second thought is what this person really wanted was their Mothers recipe. the old saying, Moms' cooking is home cookin', comes to mind. Ok, maybe that's not an old saying I just made it up, but you know what I mean. Everyone thinks their recipe is the one. And it is, for them.
I am not what you would call a good cook. I can cook edible dishes and a few that are excellent but on the whole, I'm not a cook. I didn't pay close attention to how Mom prepared our food. I didn't even pay particular attention to what was being served. If it tasted good that's was all that was necessary. Growing up our food was basic and standard fare for the time and place. Growing up near the water seafood played a large part and potatoes were grown there. That combination showed up a lot on the dinner table. Not a lot of wild game made it to our table. It was more of a novelty to us than a staple. Meals were not a big deal at my house. You knew what time dinner was. If you didn't show up, you didn't eat. I don't recall any big discussions taking place at the dinner table. You ate, and then you were done eating. Simple as that.
Did we eat traditional meals ? Depends on whose traditions you're talking about. I would say we generally all started with the same basic ingredients. It was the subtle differences in preparation that gave the food the " traditional " taste. And I think it is that taste we  try to imitate. But there is no cooking like home cooking. And like I said, home cooking is Moms' cooking. And as my wife is quick to point out, She ain't my mother ! I must admit I really do like my wife's cooking and that cooking is the " tradition " for my kids.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment