Monday, September 3, 2012

Downshifting

Labor Day. Not much of a holiday if you ask me. Oh, the day off from work is a good thing , you won't hear any complaints about that , except I don't get the day off. Big grocery day for all those barbecues and picnics. A day started by the labor unions. And anyone that knows me knows, I'm not much of a supporter of labor unions. I'll leave that discussion alone, however.
Traditionally it does mark the end of summer. In the place I grew up that meant the city folks went back home and pretty much stayed there until spring. That is not an issue here in Greensboro. No crowds thronging in here. Our population remains steady throughout the year.
Labor day. A day for the workers to rest. What a concept. Of course it was started before we had sick days,vacation days and personal days. I'm thinking labor day has lost some of it's impact. I 've never been quite sure just what to celebrate. Are we celebrating a day off or that we have a job ? In today's' world the later would seem the most appropriate. Guess I have to put away those seersucker suits and white outfits. Not supposed to wear white after labor day. Shouldn't we be having those huge white sales ? I haven't noticed any advertisements for them. At least not the way they used too.
So now we put away the watermelons and umbrellas. Out come the pumpkins and leaf rakes. Lawn furniture   neatly stacked or put in the shed. Time for stew instead of salads. Soon I'll hear those words again, soups on. Push in the clutch and shift gears. The pace slows down. Next up, Thanksgiving. Halloween doesn't count.

No comments:

Post a Comment