Sunday, September 23, 2012

Moments

Small moments in life often create large memories. Looking back over the years I can recall many of these. Most would have no meaning to any one else. Just a moment in time. However, in my mind and feelings these moments are often relived. These are the moments when I felt special or somehow especially blessed. Some of those moments are just selfish moments. I don't think there is anything wrong with that. I think we all have them.
I remember one year at the Christmas program in church I was selected to read a certain passage. I was nervous but stood behind that large Bible on it's ornate stand. Locating chapter and verse I began to read. The congregation was silent, listening to my every word. I made it through the passage without fault. I felt the oratory was excellent. Following the service I did receive a few compliments. That was a small moment in time. Somehow that experience has remained with me. 
Over the years other moments stand out. Times I was able to help another or offer comfort. Times I was recognized. I think we all want those times but never know when they might occur. Spontaneous is the only way to describe it. Some will gain their fifteen minutes of fame, others will just get their fifteen minutes a few moments at a time. 
I think we all have our moments. I believe we are placed in those moments by a higher power. We respond to those moments according to the plan. That is the spontaneity. All things for a greater purpose. There are no trivial moments in life. As we age I think we become aware of that. And for at least some of us, that gives us a sense of urgency. Not a sense of haste, that is something different. No, a sense of urgency to enjoy those moments in life to the fullest. To savor them and look for them. That is what reminiscing is all about. Recovering forgotten moments in time. You can not plan these moments. All one can do is live them. Live for the positive and reject the negative. Bright moments exist everywhere and occur every day.   

No comments:

Post a Comment