Sunday, September 16, 2012

More than blood

Children and Grand children. I have been fortunate to have both. I was reminded of this by a fellow blogger and friend. As I looked at the photo of her holding her newest grandchild and seeing the joy in her eyes, I knew. I knew the happiness she felt. I remarked to her how fortunate she was to hold her legacy in her hands and her heart. That also applies to me. It applies to anyone that has ever known the love of a child.
For that love is the purest form of love. Unconditional,unbiased and unashamed. I think that is the joy we feel. That purity of spirit transcends time and the prejudices of man. What a wonderful thing,new life. A promise. Another beginning.
Raising children. An interesting phrase. I think of it more as participating in the future. I can choose the amount of participation. With my own children I perhaps didn't get to participate as much as I would have liked. My career often kept me away. My youth and general inexperience in life also contributed to that. That was all years ago, before the grandchildren. They provided me with a second chance. A new beginning if you will. I haven't missed any chances to participate this time around !
I have noticed that raising grandchildren is quite a bit different. First off, it is not 24/7. That's a blessing in itself. LOL. Secondly, you have someone else to blame. That's another plus. And lastly I find I have a lot more time I'm willing to invest in them. That comes with age. The wisdom to know that their needs are more important than your own. Either that or I've finally come to realize I have a captive audience for my stories and they are easily bribed.
The thing is though whether those children are of your blood or not makes no difference whatsoever. That is where the purity of love comes in. Stepchildren,adopted children,birth children or just children in general. All are the same. Children are the future. When we get the chance to hold that future in our hands that is a gift. When we have the chance to guide that future, it is a responsibility. It should also be a joy. Children are more than your blood, children are the blood of mankind. The manner in which they are raised and the principles taught them are what you can expect in the future. That is the responsibility I speak of. The joy comes from having the chance to participate in that future. Your thoughts,your principles and values being carried forward. Your legacy.
Isn't it funny how a picture can stir up such thoughts ? Worth a thousand words. This is no where near a thousand, but it is a start. 

1 comment:

  1. I told my daughter-in-law how blessed she was to participate in one of God's miracles....a truly amazing thing!

    ReplyDelete