Wednesday, September 5, 2012

The Squirrels

The soccer season began here in Caroline County. My grandsons' team had their first contest last night. They battled to a tie. It was a good clean game, well played, with it's moments of drama. The score was tied within the last ten seconds ! A relief for the opposition but a disappointment for our team. But, it is not a loss.
I have watched with interest each year as the team forms and practice begins. Some of the players have been together since the beginning and others have been fitted in as the need arose. My son is the towns soccer representative and is responsible for the team rosters. It is a lot more complicated than one would initially think. Attempting to balance the available talent between teams while dealing with personal preferences ( the parents ) can cause for some stress. Each year is filled with optimism. We can do this !
I have been watching the progress of the kids. They are learning to play as a team now. That is a big milestone. Learning how to play as a team and not as an individual is a definite sign of increased maturity. Next comes dealing with ego. Some children are naturally going to be more talented than others, keeping that in check is always a challenge. There are those that never get past it. Even the pros !
I find it somewhat surprising how I have come to view the seasons. I guess with age one does gain perspective. ( Hopefully ) I find myself watching more of the dynamics involved in the game than the actual game itself. Watching and considering how the kids interact with one another. Noticing the little details. My grandson is the constant on the team. All, or at least most, of the others have rotated in and out. But I still view the team as my kids. I am familiar with most of them. Being from a small town this is expected. I can't say I remember the different age groupings and how that all works. I think Mark is in U- 10 or something like it. The boys and girls are still on the same team. When that changes I don't know. I'm certain that will be a major shift in the dynamic. I'm not looking forward to that. They don't need to be that mature just yet !
So, the season begins ! The kids chose the name " Squirrels " some years back and it remains the unofficial official name. A few years back they did remind one of squirrels. Running all over the place apparently without purpose. Now they gather those nuts and squirrel away the goals ! Ok, a bad metaphor but what can I say. Go Squirrels.

No comments:

Post a Comment