Tuesday, September 18, 2012

What's in a picture

left to right: Millie Reichart, My Mom holding me, Uncle Ben, friend Annie
I received some old photographs from my mother today. In them was a picture of a man I only remember from hearing his name. This man was named Austin Bennett. In family history and lore he was a friend and mentor to my Grandfather. When I first started working on my family tree this man and his story provided a clue. You see, my grandfather passed away when my Dad was only eight years old. I didn't know much about him. My own father rarely spoke of him. I did remember Dad telling me he had lived in Greenport, New York at one time. I checked the census records and found him living there. Looking at the neighbors there was that name, Austin Bennett. So, they had lived on the same street. That led credence to the stories I had heard. The story was that they were such close friends that my father got his name from that man. My father is Austin Bennett Reichart. His father was Elwood. Grandfather Elwood had two sons. His first born carried his name but his second born,my father, carried the name of this friend. Over the years I have discovered more pieces to the story. I had heard my mother and father speak of this man they called Uncle Ben. It was from that,that my own father was always called Ben instead of Austin. Looking at old records I discovered his full name to be, Austin Benjamin Bennett Jr. I can imagine these two friends and confidants working together and sharing good times. My Grandmother Clara passes a day after giving birth to little Ben. Grandfather Elwood is naturally heartbroken. His two boys one just over a year old and the other a new born go to live with their maternal Grandparents. Three years pass and he remarries. The boys stay with the grandparents. Grandfather Elwood has two other boys with his second wife. Tragically he dies of a ruptured appendix on a trip to Florida. My father is eight years old.
The  years pass but Uncle Ben still comes to visit. Then somewhere long about 1956 or so he is visiting once again, standing beside my mother, who is holding me in her arms. Austin Benjamin Bennett, Jr and Austin Bennett Reichart, Jr. Austin Benjamin Bennett, Jr never married as far as I have been able to determine. He had no children. Myself, Austin Bennett Reichart,Jr never named a son the third.
So, there is quite a story behind a name. Some mysteries have been solved. Uncle Ben passed away in 1971 in Palm Beach Florida. That is where my Grandfather Elwood, his friend also passed all those years ago. A circle completed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment