Monday, September 24, 2012

Directions

Along with my blogging I also enjoy writing a poem or two. I have a special little book where I record them. I write each one in my own handwriting ( printing really ) date and sign them. It is my hope that one of the grandchildren will save this book and become the caretaker of my thoughts. It is my hope that future generations of Reicharts will get some enjoyment from them. A piece of me living on.
I have reflected upon similar thoughts in the past. How it is so much easier today to record and preserve our thoughts and our images. Not just the wealthy class but the common fellow too. Was a time when only those that could afford to have their picture painted had their likeness saved. Was a time when only a few were even literate. And now, look at how far we have come. I wonder though with it being so commonplace and blase how much will remain ? Often we begin to take things for granted. How many old home movies have been lost over the years ? How many CD'S destroyed or erased ? That is one reason I have gone with the low tech approach. Handwritten manuscripts usually get saved. Sometimes even the most trivial of things. Greeting cards, letters to loved ones and childrens' school work. I know I have some of all of those things. A postcard from 1936 to my Great Grandfather. Some handwritten notes from Grandma. None are great literary works but all are priceless to me. Would I feel the same connection if I was viewing them on CD or flash drive ? Probably not. Watching a movie of them and hearing their voices would be a cool thing. That is something I haven't given much thought to. I have heard of people recording their life story for future generations. The question their would be, when to start or stop. Also I think that may prove to be a it morbid. My life has not been lived according to a script and so I don't think I could record it either. I'm thinking it would have to more a catch as catch can sort of thing. Assembled by someone else. It is scary to have to trust your legacy to another but a necessity for clarity of emotion.
We all have something to leave behind . Something that defines us. Perhaps it is a craft, maybe writing or music. Some just leave a vacuum in our hearts. But we are all here for a reason. We don't need to know the reason, that is not important. What is important is how we affect those around us. Concentrate on that and everything will work out just fine. Jot down a few notes along the way, they may come in handy for someone down the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment