Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Window to the World

The other day I was reading a blog written by one of my " hometown " friends. She mentioned taking a vacation and a group that had formed many years ago called the " Ramblers ". As I understand it, this group of ladies would choose an area to explore. One of the ladies would do the research and present  a report on it the others. In this way " rambling " the globe to all the exotic places they knew they would never actually visit. This group,I am told, is still active. What a wonderful idea.
My own Great Grandmother had a vast collection of those " View Master " slides of locations throughout the world. She passed when I was only two years old. I am told that she spent many hours looking at those slides and imagining herself there. I myself, can remember looking at those pictures. Putting the reel in and pressing down on a bar in the back to illuminate the slide. The pictures were beautiful and it was easy to see yourself there. Great Grandmother Lucy surely must have enjoyed them. I couldn't help but wonder if maybe she had been a member of those " ramblers " at one time. She was active in the community. That she had an interest in Genealogy is certain and preserving the past.
My Great Grandfather told me he would order those slide packets for her. In her last years she was bedridden and suffered much. Those pictures were her escape. I am told how excited she would be to receive a new set. I can't help but think how much that must have really meant to her. I also can't help but think what if she had had the internet ? How much exploring could she have done then ? What an amazing resource for information and pictures of places around the world.
My Great Grandfather having been long past now and his home sold I do not know what  happened to those slides. Perhaps my Aunt Jessie saved them. Sadly I never knew Aunt Jessie and she too has passed. What became of those items ? A mystery I'll never solve. I like to think they are saved somewhere. They were her window to the world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment