Thursday, August 9, 2012

Secrets

I just heard on the news about the New York Police Department requesting information from twitter. It is in regard to a " suspect ". The commentator says twitter is willing to cooperate but has concerns for the privacy of its' users. I understand their position in today's litigating environment. The suspect may file suit. As it turned out, twitter did release the information requested about this suspect. This person was making threats about a certain theater.
Much discussion followed about privacy concerns using social media. Do you have an expectation of privacy?  Should social media release your account information to requesting authorities without a subpoena ?
On and on with legal talk and debate. Wish I could have joined in and clarified the whole deal for these legal pundits. If  you want to keep a secret, ie: personal data, do not put it on twitter or Facebook !  Simple as that. In order for something to remain a secret you must not share it with anyone ! That's why it is a secret ! What is so difficult about that concept ? I have not nor will I ever share or post any data that I wish to remain a secret on any social media site ,ever ! In that way I do not have to worry about the information being disclosed.
Allow me to explain my thinking. If I wish to post comments,remarks or pictures to social media I must create an account. I do so voluntarily. If I do not wish to divulge certain details I may be refused the service. My choice. I appreciate it when this same media doesn't reveal personal information to the public in general but that courtesy is extended to me by that service. It is not a guarantee or a right protected by the constitution of the United States ! There is a legal term for this concept, " caveat emptor. " Simply put it means let the buyer beware. In this situation let the user beware. I think it applies especially when you are not even paying for the service.
This miscreant was using Twitter to spread word that he had bad intentions. Threats being made. The police became aware of this and felt it necessary to investigate. The request for information should have been immediately complied with. As far as I'm concerned there is no discussion required.

1 comment: