Sunday, August 26, 2012

Homes of Honor

I am fortunate to have in my possession a document, albeit not the original, but a copy of the writings of my Great Uncle Alfred. This man emigrated to the United States in search of a better life. He found it. In reading his words it gave me an appreciation for the hardships he had to endure but more importantly the optimism he had his entire life. He came to this land with the hope of the future and was richly rewarded. He was rewarded through his own efforts and perseverance. No government hand outs,bailouts or assistance. Just a poor immigrant striving for a better way of life. He arrived with a wife, a child and four dollars in cash. Yet he wrote," I arrived with a glad heart."
The story is not a very long one but filled with information. More important to me however is the fashion in what he said. He wrote eloquently and knew how to turn a phrase. He tells of his ancestors and his search for his own roots. And he states the reason for doing so, " my children and my childrens' children have the scared right to know something of their forebears." His concern was having moved to the United States his children would lose touch with their Nordic roots. The writing ended in 1934. Uncle Afred could not have imagined the resources available today in that regard. He was an engineer and designer of machinery for the book binding industry. He held several patents.
There is one passage in his writings that I particularly enjoyed. I would like to share that passage with you. I find the words both  humbling and inspiring.
" Many have set down their family history to indicate how brilliant an ancestry they have. I write to show how humbly we began and what we have attained. I believe my descendants in time to come will feel as satisfied to be a part of a rising family as to sit back and glory over the has been-- I would say to my children, and children's children in generations to come that though our cradles were rocked in humble homes, they were homes of honor and that the God-given gift to improve the family destiny never suffered a setback-- although for generations it may have lain dormant. We rested not on the shoulders of wealth made by someone else-- striving instead to excel at what our hands have found to do. "

The words ring true and speak to all men. Words to live by. We have much to learn from the past. The old folks were not so easily detoured from their courses. Less distraction perhaps or was it more of a necessity. There were no safeguards against failure. You got what you earned. Effort in, equals results out.
And most important, in my opinion,is his statement, " though our cradles were rocked in humble homes,they were homes of honor. " A noble sentiment.  It is my hope the same can be said of my life and my home.
Thank you Uncle Alfred.
Great Uncle Alfred and family


1 comment:

  1. A brilliant man, your Uncle...and yes, a humble one with a way with words. It sounds as if he was truly writing from a truthful and unpretentous heart.
    Thank you for sharing this,Ben.

    ReplyDelete