Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Pride and Dependence

There are times in everyone's life when it becomes necessary to swallow ones pride and accept some help. Whether it is with personal problems or financial issues. In years past this option wasn't taken quite so often as it is today. Today it seems like instead of people just swallowing their pride they are feasting upon it ! They are not just accepting that help but demanding it. I, for one, can't help but wonder how that came to be.  My Grandmother always told me, "  God helps those, who help themselves." That lesson has stayed with me all my life. She would also say, be beholding to no one but your God. Words to live by.
Erosion is slowly eating away at our society. The false security of government provided assistance which can only lead to dependence. And with dependence comes subjugation. I blame no one particular political party for this. This fault comes from within. When we, as a society come to accept this as normal, that is the problem. And in my opinion we are making this very option more appealing with each passing year. Like overprotective parents we are spoiling our children. In the name of caring and compassion we are destroying their pride.
The very standard for moral and ethical behavior is being changed. There is much talk of this in recent years. It is my belief we are a Christian nation, although there are those that would deny that. There are those that figure on an intellectual level they are much brighter. There are those that claim the framers of the constitution intended otherwise. I can not agree. And therein lies my basic problem. I'm operating on a different set of values. I find it difficult to understand this new morality. I'm not the first to feel this way. The Pilgrims had the same issues. I do feel compelled to try to persuade others to my line of thought. All of us do. That is a natural and normal thing to do.
They say you have to hit bottom before you can return to the top. I personally don't believe that. You can reverse your descent at any time. It all depends on how much you are enjoying the fall. If the fall is a pleasant one the incentive to change direction is small. Perhaps that is what is needed, making the fall a little more uncomfortable. Perhaps instead of teaching it is alright to fall we should teach it is desirable to rise.  

No comments:

Post a Comment