Friday, August 31, 2012

Informal

I've written about this subject before but it is on my mind again. The change in manners, in general. Most noticeably the informality. Have you noticed most people call the President, Obama. Mitt is running against him. Condi has checked into the debate. All these names rolling off our tongues like they are old friends.
Was a time when speaking about someone on a first name basis meant that they were close friends of yours. Others were Mr or Mrs. Over time we started name dropping. Celebrities were first. We knew Marilyn, Lucy, Groucho and others. We started with nick names too, The Duke comes to mind. We spoke of those people like we knew them personally. I guess on some level we did. But it has escalated to just about everyone. Even some children addressing their parents by their first names. Well, I don't like it. I think it is a sign of disrespect and a lack of proper manners. All this informality I find disturbing.
I expect a psychologist or sociologist could explain it all. It has to do with shifting attitudes and social strata. How we all feel as though we are equals and manifest this in our speech patterns. The struggle of the lower class to perceive themselves as equal to the ruling class. I'm sure they could write an entire thesis on the subject. I think it is nothing more than a lack of manners and respect for our fellow man. I was taught if the person was older than you, you never addressed them by their first name. If it was a person in authority, you addressed them accordingly. Sir or Ma'am was always appropriate.
Being civil is how I would describe it. Living in a society. Addressing one another with respect and exercising discretion in our words. Because not only have we become far too informal, our choice of words, especially adjectives, is questionable at best. Far from bringing us closer together this is driving us apart. At least in years past we feigned civility. Good Morning Mr. or Mrs. instead of, hey bob this is some &#$*(^  weather.
I miss the kinder gentler world of my youth. The time when Father did know best and Mr. and Mrs. Cleaver brightened our days. Dirty laundry stayed at home. Courtesy and politeness is becoming unusual instead of the norm. They say things go in cycles. I hope that is true and we cycle back soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment