Sunday, August 19, 2012

Slingshots and pocketknives

Imitation is really the sincerest form of flattery. My grandson has taken up the practice of carrying a pocket knife. Something his grandfather does. I've carried a pocket knife as long as I can remember. Not as much when I was younger, but now wouldn't be without one. My old standard got broken and has been replaced. I felt a little lost there for a while. Always reaching for something that wasn't there.
Being from the old school of thought I have no problem with him carrying a pocketknife. Of course, we live in a different time. He must be very careful when and where he takes that knife. Slip up just one time and an entire swat team is liable to descend upon him. I can see it all now. He'll be questioned and analyzed to determine his mental state. Does he pose any threat to national security ? Why are you carrying a knife ? What are your intentions ? And his only response would be, cause Grandpa carries a knife. And then they come for me. I'm up on charges for child endangerment !
For a brief period as a child I carried a slingshot. It was a homemade affair made from a tree branch and the inner tube out of a bicycle tire. Pretty effective at close range. Scare you good at farther distances. Rocks were a good projectile but I found acorns worked really well. I shot at cans and bottles. Stop signs and tree trunks. I shot at birds and squirrels. Don't recall ever actually hitting any of the later, but gave them a good scare. Yes,like a Norman Rockwell painting, I carried that slingshot in my back pocket. Had some ammo in my front pocket. I would roam the wilderness that was my back yard fighting evil and injustice. And let me tell you Robins are especially evil ! I kept them at bay,however. Well as long as Mom wasn't watching anyway.
I learned some valuable lessons through all of that. The least being that knives will cut you and slingshots can be dangerous things. I learned a measure of respect for the objects that were my targets. I learned that aiming and firing that slingshot had consequences. I learned I always didn't have complete control of those consequences. I found a pocketknife to be a wonderful tool to have, but not one to play with. Never did it occur to me to use that knife or slingshot to threaten another person. That would have been cowardly. At least that is the lesson I was taught.
All that was many years ago. I'm flattered and amused that my grandson wants to carry a pocketknife, just like Grandpa. I'm sure it is a phase that will pass. Given today's world it is probably best. It is a lot of risk for a little reward. Still I'm glad he gets to experience that. It is a responsibility and he is aware of that. And that is half the battle raising children, making them aware. Now about a slingshot ? I'm considering that one carefully. There isn't much area for him to really use that particular weapon. Perhaps that is best left to history.

No comments:

Post a Comment