Thursday, August 23, 2012

What's he doing ?

For the last few months I have taken to walking to work. It is not all that far and is really a pleasant little walk. Down hill half the way and over the bridge across the river. I say good morning to any I should meet along the way. I see the geese grazing in the park. I have been fortunate in that the weather has been good and not too many rainy days. Gives a man time to think away from the distractions of television and the computer. A time to " smell the roses " as it were. I've noticed a few more people waving to me as they pass.
I am becoming an accepted part of the morning.
A lot of us,myself included, tend to think that people aren't paying much attention. I am coming to learn that is far from the truth. While at work, in the grocery store, I have had many people say, aren't you the one walking ? Or I've seen you walking. I've had them ask questions like, is your car broken ? Some have even insinuated that perhaps I had trouble like I was poor or somehow ran afoul of the law. All manner of inquiries. Funny thing is no one yet guessed the real reason. I just wanted too. That's right. I'm not doing it for exercise. My car isn't broken. I still have a valid drivers license. No troubles with the law. I just feel like walking to work.
I have told people this and now I'm afraid I'm getting a label. Eccentric ! I getting to be considered as an eccentric. Why else would you walk to work ? I'm thinking I should get a walking stick and maybe wear one of those Swiss hats with the big feather. If they want eccentric I would hate to disappoint. Seriously though I do find it amusing. The simple fact is I like walking to work, most mornings. It is nothing more than that. I am fortunate that I live close enough to make that possible. I am lucky that I am not bound that closely to the time clock either. Five or ten minutes one way or another makes no difference.
I don't get eyed as suspiciously as when I first began. I receive a few more nods and tentative waves. I'm starting to become part of the morning. A familiar sight. It takes time for people to accept and adjust to changes. This man walking now, what is he up to ? Why ? Is he trouble ? More people have been watching than I originally thought. And in a way that thought is comforting in itself. Maybe the world really is a smaller place than we know. 

No comments:

Post a Comment