Saturday, August 18, 2012

Rhythm and Routine

I awoke to the melancholy sounds of a gentle rain. We do need the rain so I suppose I should be grateful of it. Not being a farmer it does not affect me personally. I won't lose any crops or anything but will pay the price at the grocery store.
With the rain comes the changing of plans. What do today. Didn't have any special plans in the first place so it is no big deal. Maybe a quiet day indoors working on a few projects or just kickin' back. Feels a little cooler out now, maybe put on a pot of soup. Falls coming after all. Noticed the fall grass starting to come in and saw a few praying mantis. Mantis is one of those words that are both singular and plural, I think. Yeah,must be. I'm looking forward to a change in season. I find it a comfort but there are those that don't.
Endless summer is for the young or very old I think. But,to each their own. Following summer I need a break and fall fills the ticket just right. Pleasant temps during the day and good sleeping weather at night. Sweaters and jackets. Brightly colored leaves.
Life is all about rhythm and routine. Happiness comes from living within those constraints. The earth has a rhythm to it. Learn to feel and understand that rhythm. Native Americans ( Indians) knew that well. Some spoke with great eloquence about it. And we all have routines. Whether it be going to work or school or keeping the house. We all have things we must do. Do them without complaint and life is a little more enjoyable. Embrace the routine ! I know I sound like I am preaching and I guess I am. Whether to convince you, the reader of my thoughts, or to convince myself I couldn't say. That much is left to wonder and speculation.
With the rain comes a change in routine. The rhythm of the earth has not. I can hear the earth speaking to me as I write. Wait a minute, that's my wife. Have to run along,another change in routine. Now, if I was a Native American brave, the routine would have been different ! 

1 comment: