Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Being Famous

I've heard it said that each of us get fifteen minutes of fame. No one ever said you get all fifteen at once. And that got me to thinking. I must be getting mine a few seconds at a time. I've had a good moment or two here and there. Had the spotlight on me so to speak. If I reflect back, a few moments do stand out. I was interviewed for a newspaper article. Mentioned in the press. When I retired from the Navy I got to give a farewell address. I've won a few raffles and got to shout Bingo ! All these moments had me in the bright lights. But I think the moments of fame I enjoyed the most where these ; finding my wife, holding my children for the first time,and then holding each grand child. To have your child or grand child look up at you and say, I love you. Or have them turn to you in times of need. Those are moments of fame. Fame is not about you but about those you love. Fame is earned a moment at a time over a lifetime.
Popularity is not the same as fame. They are often confused. I know I have been confused by that. Maybe that is why so many " famous " people have met a tragic end. Perhaps that same fame has eroded their capacity to love without fear. I am fortunate to be able to love freely. I need not be concerned that anyone would try to deceive me. For what gain ? Not much of monetary value here. No fast track to the top. No, just Ben.
And so I am famous after all. I think I have gotten my fifteen minutes already. But the same person that said, we each get fifteen minutes of fame, never said we couldn't have more. Fame, wasn't that a song or a show ? Fame, I'm going to live forever. To be remembered and loved even after you are gone, that is true fame.

No comments:

Post a Comment