Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Turning a phrase

Certain phrases enter common usage and remain until they become cliche. Some of these phrases I immediately dislike. I don't really have an explanation for it either. Some just don't sit right. The latest that I hear being used is " forever home." As in these puppies are waiting for their forever home. Hate that phrase. I have nothing against puppies and nothing against anyone adopting them, I just don't like the phrase.
Another that has crept into common usage and has been around for awhile is quality time. I need to spend quality time. The implication to me is, I want to spend time doing what I want. I don't care what others want, I want to spend time doing what I want. That's quality time. Sounds more like selfish time.
Another that has been around forever that I really dislike is, state of the art. It is state of the art. Exactly what state is that ? I know, it is the latest state. The phrase just says little in my opinion. Cutting edge technology is another. Please, can you not be a little more imaginative in your speech ?
A word that gets used a lot is spouse. I hate the word spouse. Makes having a wife sound like some kind of illness. I have a spouse. Really,sorry to hear that, but they have medicine for that. I much prefer wife. I don't like to hear people say, I took a wife though. I prefer to think it was a mutual agreement.
I don't know where these phrases come from or how they get started. Why some phrases fall into the slang category and others get ingrained in our speech is somewhat of a mystery. I'll leave that discussion to the scholars. I'll leave that with a phrase I do like, It's all good.

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm...yes, he TOOK a wife. He bopped her over the head with his club and dragged her off to their forever home where they spend quality time together, exploring all the state of the art and cutting age technology. :-D

    ReplyDelete