Monday, March 19, 2012

Be it ever so Humble

Yesterday was a good day. The sun was shinning and the breeze was warm. An unhurried morning. I fiddled with a little project I had been working on. Gouged the end of my finger with a wood chisel and set that project aside. Afterwards I decided upon another project I had in mind. So I took a leisurely stroll to the Family Dollar store. It is only about a mile or so up the road and is a pleasant enough walk. You have to cross the river to get there and the view is very nice. Looking downriver you can see the trees starting to green up and people fishing on the banks. The traffic is light on a Sunday afternoon in Greensboro.
I made my purchase. I selected a butterfly print vinyl tablecloth. Very colorful and cheery. I had in mind modifying this tablecloth to fit my round patio table. It may seem odd that I would be planning a sewing project. Not so. I do most of the sewing in my house. Learned that from doing upholstery and watching the girls there. As I checked out the cashier says to me, " very manly tablecloth." I just smiled at this young lady and said something like, yeah I guess so. Not going to spoil my good mood young lady I thought to myself. And I walked back home satisfied.
My wife got the sewing machine out the closet for me. She is very supportive in that regard. Naturally she was curious as to exactly what I had in mind. After measuring and marking I cut the material. Getting comfortable at the sewing machine I began to sew it together. I was going along quite nicely when I discovered that the bobbin had run out. No problem, just wind another. That done I got back to the task. It didn't take that long and I was done. Now for the moment of truth. I took it outside and tried it. It fit ! Hooray, and it looks good too. My wife agreed that it looks great. Another three dollars and fifty cents well spent.
As were outside admiring my handiwork I took a good look around. The sun was starting to set and the breeze was still gently blowing. My American flag was lifting in that breeze and the whole scene seemed so serene. I took a picture,as I often do.
Be it ever so humble,there's no place like home. Payne was right on the mark with that line and God bless America.

No comments:

Post a Comment