Sunday, March 18, 2012

Going too far

I'm thinking things are going a little too far. The Maryland legislature is attempting to pass a bill making it a crime to smoke inside your vehicle if there is a child under the age of six in the vehicle. I understand the intent.
Just how the police are supposed to enforce this law has not been explained. I suppose it will fall into the category of a secondary offense. As if the government needed additional reasons to fine us. And just where will this lead. I can see children suing their parents for smoking in the car. What about in their homes ? Maybe we should include that in this bill as well.
What is it they say, " the road to hell is paved with good intentions. " This bill, along with a host of others already imposed upon us, falls into that category. It is not the duty of government to legislate personal behaviors. Inform us poor,uneducated taxpayers the hazards of certain behaviors perhaps, but not impose their will upon us. There is a fine line between governing and dictating.
I see it this way. On the one hand government wants to approve certain behaviors, that if the truth was told the majority object too, and impose civil and criminal penalties upon us for non compliance. While on the other restrict our choices to meet their agendas. Much like the missionaries of old. I will convert you to Christianity if I have to kill you doing it !
I believe you can agree with an idea or philosophy and still not support it. Or more properly, tolerate it. Tolerance doesn't necessarily imply consent. And the imposition of your views or beliefs on others should be dependent upon their good sense and judgement, rather than as a matter of law. It would be a fools task to attempt to write that many laws.
I don't what group or person instituted this current bill. I question their agenda.

No comments:

Post a Comment