Friday, March 30, 2012

Grown Up

My sister lives in Florida and I don't get to visit her very often. And by often I mean every decade or so but we frequently talk. I was thinking how nice it is to live in this age when you can pick up the phone, call long distance and still afford to pay the mortgage. Wasn't like that when I was young. Long distance calls were expensive. Shoot now with verizon to verizon wireless it's free ! I keep telling myself that, even though it isn't exactly true, but it sounds wonderful and justifies those long discussions.
 I am the youngest of four and the other day as I was talking to her it struck me how things have changed. We were discussing my oldest brother, who is very ill, and Mom who is eighty two. To my astonishment we have both grown up ! This was an adult discussion about grave matters. I would much rather we had been arguing over what channel to watch on television. Medical insurance and diagnosis of doctors really didn't fit into a conversation with my sister, Did it ? The sad answer is, yes.  On the positive side at least we are still talking. Sometimes" siblings " a term I hate, much prefer brothers and sisters, don't get along in adulthood. We get along splendidly. We always did. 
Life chugs along and picks up speed. I am at the age were it's really getting up a good head of steam ! Funny how when time goes so slow, think about getting out of school, you don't think about it much. As time increases in speed you just want to slow down and enjoy every minute. It's a paradox. I remember I couldn't wait to be sixteen. Drive a car. Turn eighteen and be legal. Then turn 21 and be legal, again. Now I just want to slow down some of this stuff. Grandson headed off to middle school next year ? Put that on hold. I'd like to enjoy elementary school for at least another year,please. Grand daughters are almost ten. Whoa slow it down ! And no, I don't need the Golden Years plan just yet, thank you very much.
Was a time I talked to my sister of records on the radio and how adults are so lame. Now we talk about medicare and replacing our organs. We talk about our Grand children. Let me repeat that, I talk about my Grand kids with my sister ! Now how old is that ? LOL  Yup, I remember talking to my sister when we both couldn't wait to " grow up." Well, we're grown alright. Wish we were kids again. I could use a do over. Wouldn't change much just kinda smooth out the rough patches. Take my time and get it right so to speak. 
Daylights a burnin' I'd better get moving. Time waits for no man, or Sisters either.

No comments:

Post a Comment