Friday, March 9, 2012

Batter Up

Went to the first practice of this years Little League season. Aw, to hear the crack of the bat and the sound of the ball hitting leather. Spirits are high and so are expectations. The coaches are in place and the process has begun. The formation of a team. It is like watching a birth. You can never be sure but hope for the best. Whatever you get,you love it ! And the boys are looking good.
We have moved up a notch since last year. More fundamentals being stressed and proper execution. The atmosphere is a little more serious. Time to stop fooling around boys. From here on out the balance is a delicate one. You should play the game for the love of the game but winning is important. As in life, success is important. But one should achieve success through hard work,dedication and doing the right thing.
I'm leaning on the fence and watching closely. These old eyes watching every move. I can smell the dust of the infield and feel that same anticipation. Ready to react to the ball at the crack of the bat. Been over forty years since I played ball but you never forget. All the instructions rolling through my mind. Get your glove down, palm up, get square with the ball, don't rush, set your feet and throw. I feel the satisfaction of a play well turned and the sting of disappointment when it isn't.
I'm a man of tradition. I love baseball. It is Americas sport. Say what you want about football and Nascar I'll take baseball any day. The boys of spring and hope springs eternal. I think it is going to be a great season. I'm betting my grandson makes great strides this year. It's going to be a little tougher this year. I can't wait for the home opener !

No comments:

Post a Comment