Saturday, March 3, 2012

Drama and the Unknown

Today are tryouts for little league. My Grandson will be on the field. This will be the first year where he is not guaranteed a spot. Growing up. He has reached that level. All his coaches from years past are not coaching this year either. I'm nervous. I'm concerned. He is just an average player. What if he doesn't get selected ? I can't take it. It is so much harder being a Grandfather. With my own I could handle those possibilities but this is different. He is my grandson !
Sure, I can see the potential there, but what about others. Those coaches may not be aware of his talent. Just needs a little polish and practice. He is a team player. He is loyal and will show up to the games. He will put forth his maximum effort. He listens well and will apply the lessons taught. I'm thinking I need to have a talk with this coaching panel. Perhaps they could benefit from some of my insights. I've been watching these kids play since their T-Ball days.
Well,once we get through that today we have the soccer tournament. Mark's team has an excellent chance of winning it all. He usually plays goalie and does a great job at that. Of course he will play all positions before the game is done. That's the way it works out. Give everyone a chance. It's fair and makes for more exciting play. Soccer isn't as important to me. I want him to succeed but it is not like it's baseball ! I have to remember it is not about me. I tend to lose sight of that once in awhile.
Man, no one told me raising Grandchildren was this much work. The stress level is high. I wonder why.
When I was raising my own I didn't feel this much stress. And it was closer to the time that I had gone through it all myself. It should have been easier for me to empathize with them. Yet somehow I was a little more distant from their feelings. Now that it is the Grandchildren, and I'm many years removed from all that, I'm feeling their pain and angst ! What's up with that ? I've heard it said that Grandchildren keep you young. Couldn't prove it by me. I get more gray hairs and wrinkles every time I have to watch them go through this kind of stuff !
It will be an action packed weekend that much is sure. Drama and the unknown. 

No comments:

Post a Comment