Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Sustainability

I recently became a member of the Greensboro historical society. In some circles known as the " hysterical " society. I believe I am the youngest member at the age of 58. We have a few projects in the works but like most organizations today, funds can be an issue. They have an annual Golf Tournament that is the primary fundraiser.
One of our members attended a Small Museum Conference in Ocean City, Maryland. This was a three day event and many experts in the field were there giving lectures. This member was sharing some of her newly acquired knowledge. In fact, she had purchased a series of handbooks called The Small Museum Toolbox. These handbooks outline steps and procedures for maintaining a small museum. The one thing mentioned was sustainability.Included in that was the age of your members. Apparently our age grouping does not fall into the sustainable category !
When I turned fifty I got those mailings for AARP. Following that, some stores offer Senior discounts. I can look in the mirror and see the gray. A few age spots have appeared on my skin. I really knew I was getting older when my barber asked me if I wanted my eyebrows trimmed. But now I'm not sustainable ? Reading the realities can be harsh. What a cold analytic statement that is, Sustainability
After the meeting was over I gave this some thought. In the bigger picture I suppose you could say I was a small museum myself. All my memories,stories and some things in my possession.I have things from my Dad. His World War Two medals for instance. To him they weren't historic artifacts, but they are to his Great Grandchildren. Old photographs are another. We all live with history every day. After all, yesterday is history. So, I was thinking about sustainability. I am very fortunate to have Grandchildren. According to the handbook sustainability can be achieved through younger membership. If I wish to be sustained I need to include the younger people. I've already been doing that. Not that they always enjoy it, but I'm always telling them about history. I write this blog and have had a portion of them published in book form. They can read that in future years. I'm doing the family tree. All this information being recorded. All of this has become increasingly important to me over the last few years. I wasn't aware of it, but I've been working on my sustainability !
I've said it before and I will repeat it. We all want to be remembered. We will all one day leave this earth. That is a fact that cannot be avoided. But, we can be sustainable. Through our children,Grandchildren, friends and acquaintances. Pass your own youth to the younger generations. Surrender your memories and share them. Write them down. Record them. Video them. Do whatever you feel comfortable with. Those around you may not appreciate them right now, but do not be deterred. Your sustainability depends upon it. 

1 comment:

  1. I'm doing the writing down, too, Ben. How I wish that my parents and grandparents and those before them had done the same. What a gift that would have been!

    ReplyDelete