Thursday, March 1, 2012

The best things

I wonder why, after you reach a certain age, the best things are the ones that are just the way you remembered.
I like my radio to sound the way it did twenty years ago. All this modern high definition radio (whatever the heck that is ) doesn't sound the same.I want a grilled cheese sandwich. White bread,yellow american cheese with a little extra grease. I want plain coffee. Just coffee. No latte,mocha or any other strange sounding stuff. Folgers or Maxwell house will do just fine. Classic roast.
Like everyone else I have had to try all the new stuff.  I was sure some improvements had to have been made. Even embraced them at one time or another. Similar to keeping up with the latest fashions. Why we ever thought Leisure Suits were a good idea I'm not sure but we did. But soon these things go by the wayside. My old blue jeans and a tee shirt are still the best. For dress up occasions, the classic jacket and tie can't be beat.
As we age we tend to return to our youth. The old familiar things become more important to us. Maybe it is a self defense type thing. Stick with what you know and you don't look foolish. The basics.
Give me a good book,not a nook or kindle. A fire in the fireplace. Real logs,real fire,snapping and cracking. A cup of coffee from the percolator. Maybe a slice of homemade bread fresh from the oven covered with real butter. Settle into that old wing back chair and snap on the incandescent light. Feet up on the hassock ( ottoman if you prefer ) .
I will admit to liking some of the newer things. Flat screen televisions and cell phones. Microwaves are great for reheating. But the things that offer the most comfort are the old things,done the old way. Take the internet for instance, it is a wonderful thing. You can Google just about anything you want to know. I often do. If the item is of real importance however a check in the encyclopedia might be in order. If it is written in there it must be true ! Can't trust everything you read on the internet.

2 comments:

  1. My kids insisted we need a flatscreen high-def TV and when we didn't buy one they gave us one for Christmas. Now it takes about a minute for it to warm-up and turn on and the controls are so confusing I could never have set it up myself. All I want is a tv I can plug in, turn on, and watch without any instructions. Sigh.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great entry, Ben! I wonder if our folks felt the same way when mono-sound gave way to stereo? (we always turn that option off on our tv) I don't like having to have a doctorate in technology to do set ups or use items of today. (I hate reading directions) I tend to appreciate clocks,too, that are not digitial,give me a wind-up Big Ben.Sneakers should have laces to tie, rather than velcro closed! I hate the way M & M's and other candy from my childhood tastes now in my older years. (Have they changed the recipe? I'm sure, like Coca Cola, that they did just that.) Everything 'old' is better..at least in our own minds.

    ReplyDelete