Sunday, March 11, 2012

Testing

This week is the Maryland State Assessment exams. This testing will show the health of the school system. It is a big deal here and I'm sure everywhere else as well. School funds depend upon the results. Teacher assessments too. What a stressful times for students and teachers.
I'm not so sure it is a good thing. The results may or may not be completely accurate. I know that at least for some the students it is a time of anxiety. My Grand Children are quite nervous about the whole process. The teachers are stressing how important positive results are. The pressure is on. Incentives are being offered for good scores and withheld for poor. I'm thinking the message may be getting a little mixed.
I understand the necessity of the testing. Some method of measurement must be employed. A lot depends upon the results. Money ! It is almost always money that is a driving force. The rest is just rhetoric. I just question whether we should be subjecting our children to this stress. Would not results over a longer period of time be a more accurate tool. One where the children don't feel so much stress to succeed.
I could argue just as easily the other point of view. This test prepares them for real life. The pressure to succeed. To impress upon them the importance of education. Rewarding positive results and punishing the negative. This testing is an important tool for educators. In this way they can know where to focus their skills and abilities. The curriculum can be adjusted to focus on problem areas. And most importantly funds can be obtained to maintain the level of service already there or possibly obtain additional resources.
As a Grand parent however I just don't like it. I think we are subjecting the children to unnecessary stress and anxiety. It is enough for them to deal with the social pressures and educational demands already placed upon them. Is it fair to subject them to this in an effort to obtain funds ? And the pressure is real. I have a paper issued from the school that clearly shows what positive results will get you. It also clearly shows that these same incentives will be withheld should the student fail to perform. Other than report cards I have not seen any other occasion when this has been employed.
I suppose it is just that Grandpa feels just as anxious as they do. The kids will be fine. I wish them all the best of luck. I can't wait for this to be over with. The stress is too much !

No comments:

Post a Comment