Thursday, March 29, 2012

Lottery Dreams

Well it's Mega Millions fever time. The potential jackpot is a half a billion dollars ! The lottery agents are going wild. Even our local news team admits to pooling their money and buying two hundred and sixty dollars worth of tickets. Yes, I will buy a ticket. You can't win if you don't play. Every time this happens I am surprised. Why would you buy a hundred tickets for a chance at five hundred million but not for two hundred million. With that much money it is really going to make a difference ? I don't think so.
I watched a statistician on television that explained about the odds of winning. The odds of winning the jackpot are one in one hundred seventy six million. That didn't mean a lot to me other than it is pretty steep odds. What hit home for me was when he explained to change the statistical odds of you getting the winning ticket you would have to buy one hundred thousand tickets. Then your odds increase by one tenth of one percent ! Not being a real math whiz this information is hard to wrap my head around. It certainly seems like the more tickets I buy the more chances I have to win. Not so. Through the first one hundred thousand tickets the odds remain exactly the same. I usually buy just one but I may buy a few extra, just in case.
Also yesterday they had a small news article about the lottery. I don't remember the exact figure but a good number of people that win the lottery go broke. I would still like the chance to try to manage that much money. I'm thinking put it somewhere very safe. I wouldn't need to invest it. Investing is to try to make more money. Once I have a million or so I think that would be enough to satisfy my needs. Like I say, I'd take the chance.
It is fun to dream. I'll get my ticket. Good Luck Everybody.

2 comments:

  1. I'll bet on a sure thing, and that's keeping my cash in my own pocket! I'll be that much farther ahead that way. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dont leave a lot of comments on a lot of blogs each week but i felt i had to here. Do you need many drafts to make a post? see

    ReplyDelete