Friday, March 23, 2012

Questioning

I awoke feeling a little philosophical. Wondering about expectations and where I fit into the whole picture. I expect we all do that from time to time. Life, indeed human existence, is part of a much larger machine. It cannot be all random and fate, Surely there is a guiding force. But it is not the existence of God that I question, nor his plans, no I wonder about expectations. I expect certain things from myself, my wife expects certain things, my children, my grandchildren and society as a whole. That's a lot of expecting !
It is not a conscious effort of my part to fulfill these expectations, at least not most of the time, only when I have to get out of bed in the morning. Rather we all go through life with this awareness and I believe an inner resolve to fulfill our obligations. We are happy when we do and sad when we don't. Add to that whether or not our own expectations are met. These expectations are as important to our happiness and well being as the expectations of others.
To put it simply, doing the right thing. Someone said," All the world is a stage and each us must play a part." Shakespeare, if memory serves. He described the various roles we will play in our lives but the question to me is, is the part already written ? Can we, by our actions or lack thereof change the script ?
These are a few of the questions I awoke with. Now to go forth and face the day. I'm thinking it will be a good one.

1 comment:

  1. In the past, I found it hard to please everyone...parents,family, children, friends, etc. Everyone seems to have a different idea of how you should live/act. These days, I just try to obey what I know GOD wants from me, and not worry about the others, because if I do what God wants, how can I be wrong?

    ReplyDelete