Monday, March 12, 2012

Advertise

Am I the only one that has noticed Doctors and Hospitals advertising for business ? The drug companies have been hard at it for awhile but lately it just seems like hospitals are competing for your business. The ads usually start with asking you some medical questions. Do you have a hernia ? Come to this hospital and we can fix it through a very small incision. Got cancer ? There are several advertising their expertise in that area.
We are all aware of the rising cost of health care. One of the primary causes of this expense is the insurance doctors and hospitals must carry. Now I'm thinking the cost of advertising must be factored in. I can't help but wonder if this advertising is necessary. Aren't there enough people in need of care ?
It all just strikes me a bit odd. Doctors are supposed to be there to help you in time of need. Should they be advertising ? Hospitals the same way. Making this most honorable of callings into just a money making proposition leaves a bad taste in my mouth. It is akin to listening to a used car salesman. I don't trust them.
It all comes off as more of a sales pitch for services that may or may not be necessary.
Just another part of this changing world I suppose. Growing up I didn't have many choices. I lived in a rural area. One hospital within a reasonable distance. You went with whatever Doctor was available. Now the choices are many. But with these choices come additional expenses. And with additional expense comes the need for more business to remain solvent. And how to get this business ? Advertise. And the best method of advertising seems to be to play to your mortality. Come use our hospital and live ! Make another choice and you may not. That is the bottom line with these advertisers.
I don't know I just don't like it.

2 comments:

  1. I'll tell you, Ben...I've seen more ads for lawyers since I moved south! Social Security Disability lawyers, Criminal lawyers, Accident Injury lawyers, Medical claims lawyers, etc. Yikes...I don't think I'd use the attorneys who advertise. Word of mouth is always best, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well this is something I do know about since being appointed to the board of the local hospital. Hospitals, although they may be non-profits, still need to run like a business. They have payrolls and they have costs and they need to pay the bills. In many areas they lose money, like in the re-imbursements from health insurance companies. Their service may cost $100 but the re-imbursement rate is $70, so its a net loss for the hospital. There are some services however, that are profitable. For instance, weight loss surgery is usually not covered by insurance and is a profitable business for the hospital. So it makes sense for them to advertise those areas to attract people in order to help them with their bottom line. No one wins if a local hospital goes out of business. So the hospital needs to compete for things that people can go elsewhere for. Especially in the elective areas. Its an unfortunate part of the business, and hospitals are businesses, whether they are profit makers or not.

    I have been getting an education!

    ReplyDelete